A Google search for ‘Residential Density’ or ‘Housing Density’ will now lead
you to the Bluepencil Designs Manual of Housing Density.
This publication has been sold all around the world and is now being used
by some Local Authorities as supplementary Planning Guidance. Initially it
was produced for the benefit of residential developers, land buyers and
land owners but it is now also being used to assist in the production of
Local Plans, as well as by local communities to question the density of
housing allocations. In addition it is being used by a growing number of
colleges and universities as part of their Architecture and Urban Design
Bluepencil Designs have created an accurate reference book from which:
- You will know how to calculate your net site area before any drawings have been produced.
- You will know your net density and total unit numbers – giving you a realistic place to start your development proposals.
- You will understand what different densities will look like when they are built.
- You will know how to avoid the ‘planning policy pitfalls’ which are triggered at different density thresholds.
- You will know how to determine the density of the surrounding settlement and how to create an appropriate neighbouring density.
- You will understand the many implications of changing the unit mix.
- You will understand the implications of parking, cycle storage, refuse collection and SuDS on your density (and unit numbers).
“we were able to produce this manual because all our masterplans, site
layouts and planning application work is created using BIM software. We are
able to attach data to every house type, even at the earliest feasibility stages
of a project. Now entering our 7th year we have a huge library of data from
which we are able to advise clients on density, mix and yields”
Mette McLarney, Director and Founder of Bluepencil Designs.
If you are interested in a one hour CPD presentation on the topic of
Residential Density please email: